Re: [OM] new Ilford 400 film

Subject: Re: [OM] new Ilford 400 film
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 01:35:24 EDT
Simon,
        ruralwales@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I found Delta 400 only gave a small improvement in grain over HP5, and
 pushing was worse, so I stayed with the older film. >>

      I have recently been using Delta 100, 400 &3200 (I assume old versions)
after they were recommended by a list member a while back.  I find the grain
improvement over Tri-X/HP5 quite significant **when exposed correctly**.

       Reciprocity does seem worse and if underexposed it does not do as
well. Overexposure seems to be better.  Processing also seems more picky
(check the time-temperature-dilution -developement curves on the Ilford
website to see why).

       My son has been using TRI-X so I have been  comparing his results to
my Delta400  with similar developement conditions.  I do prefer the Tri-X
grain structure but Delta does seem to have much finer grain and offers a
good compromise in structure between a traditional film like Tri-X and
Kodak's TMax which I shot some years back.

YMMV.

Regards,
               Tim Hughes