Re: [OM] chicago

Subject: Re: [OM] chicago
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 00:47:52 GMT
Good advice, John. While I always rented a car when in Chicago on business that was only for use in the Des Plaines area where I stayed. I seldom drove into Chicago if my destination was accessible via public transportations. Chicago has an excellent bus and train system, along with friendly helpful folks just a phone call away to advise visitors on routes and times.

Another difficulty driving around Chicago and suburbs is the relative lack of left turn lanes, rather disconcerting for folks from areas built around automobiles. If you wait for a break in traffic, annoying drivers behind you will honk. If you make a safe but determined effort to grab that left turn in the face of oncoming traffic, they'll nearly always slow down to accomodate you.

Or you can go the safe route and take nothing but right hand turns to get there!

I've come to regard Chicago more as a big town than a city. Examples: A bus driver who, after telling me which corner to wait at for a transfer, realized his mistake, stopped the bus, opened the door and hollered back the correct instructions; residents seeing me reading a city map offered help, unasked, with directions and shortcuts; a subway security officer advised me *not* to go alone at night to a particular blues nightclub, and instead recommended some others that I could safely attend alone.

A great town, and the only cold weather place in the U.S. I'd consider moving to!
Lex Jenkins
Visit "Vistas Tejas" at http://www.photoscene.com/lexjenkins/