Re: [OM] [OT] And for Your Next Assignment

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] And for Your Next Assignment
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 08:58:26 GMT
Hey, Acer ver. 5.0 (?),

The CompuServe site is a mess right now. You can go ahead and link it, but it'll be a week or so before I get it straightened out. I can put up better quality JPEGs and more of 'em 'cause it's my own site. I plan to upload some of my petrified wood project stuff there soon.

I'm a guest at the Photoscene site so I'm limited to smallish pix. Most of 'em were actually resampled from existing JPEGs rather than from original TIFFs 'cause I was in a hurry. But I'm happy with the eclectic mix of stuff. It's fairly representative of my tastes in photography, altho' I have some really abstract stuff that hasn't been uploaded anywhere yet.

I also plan to write more for the CS site - a journal of sorts, some commentary to accompany the photos and, eventually, other artwork of mine, and vice versa. That sorta thing can be tedious for viewers, tho', so I'm a bit wary of it.

And I'll update and add to the bit about the tools - cameras, film, etc. Maybe even my preferences in paintbrushes, who knows.

Now that I'm using OM stuff for a particular project it's given me a very different perspective on interacting with the tools of photography, one that I haven't had for a long time. I'm occasionally tempted to grab the OM-1 when it's loaded and nothing else is just to snap a few shots of the grandkids or whatever else is going on. But I remind myself that when I'm painting I use a certain brush for a certain thing because it works well. So I try to keep the P&S loaded too.

Sounds silly but it keeps me in the right frame of mind when I pick up a tool. That muscle memory is important, knowing instinctively what control to reach for when a given view becomes an image.

With my Canon T70 bodies I grab a huge variety of photos, and often rely on the autoexposure modes because they work so well. It's a different mindset - following action or circling around a subject, recomposing constantly and shooting frequently.

With the OM-1 I work deliberately, almost always using a tripod, trying to make each shot count, scrutinizing everything in the frame before releasing the shutter. If I were using a later OM with auto modes I might work less carefully.

Then there's the "need" for lenses. If I used the OM-1 as my all purpose camera I'd "need" a variety of lenses. Honestly, I *could* do the entire petwood project with just a normal lens if I had to. Next best choice in a single lens outfit would be a shift lens. Then there's that macro gear. And it's all downhill from there. Next thing you know the closets are full of Zuiko 50/1.8 SCs that multiplied in the dark, like pennies, you're scurrying around the web trying to find that ultra rare titanium slip-on lens hood for the Zuiko 38-62mm f/1.0 zoom that supposedly exists only in prototype because nobody was quite sure whether there was a market for a "normal zoom", and the My eBay page is always open on your taskbar so you can track the progress of 27 auctions every fifteen minutes.

So I think I'll just go out to the backyard with my 50/1.8 SC and take pictures of the weeds growing up through the dock and call it art.
Lex Jenkins
Visit "Vistas Tejas" at http://www.photoscene.com/lexjenkins/