Re: [OM] Vivitar S1 lens mount

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar S1 lens mount
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 01:50:55 -0700
John Cwiklinski wrote:

>Hi! Can the OM mount on a Vivitar Series 1 lens be removed and placed
>on another Vivitar Series 1 lens that currently has a Canon or Nikon
>mount without affecting quality? TIA

I would advise extreme caution.  This is not as simple a procedure as
it may seem at the first glance, even when one considers a lens mount
swap between two otherwise _identical_ lenses.

The lens mounts of the different cameras are quite dissimilar, and in
some ways the OM mount is an oddball among them.  Moreover, different
mounts often require completely incompatible and non-interchangeable
implementaions of aperture actuation.  In some lenses, esp. with
Tokina AT-X and certain lines of Sigma, there are additional hardware
differences e.g. focusing rings, though this should be less of a
problem with Series 1.  Finally, since Vivitar does not manufacture
its lenses, there may be multiple undocumented sub-versions, or even
variations between lots within the same production run.

IMHO, unless the pair in question is extremely rare or dirt-cheap, I'd
say get rid of the lens in the wrong mount, then find/buy one in the
mount you need.  However, if you must swap the mounts, pls seek
profeesional help, or at least an input from someone who DIY'ed it
before.

Good luck,

/Gary Schloss.
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx