Re: [OM] An OM ebay story

Subject: Re: [OM] An OM ebay story
From: Frank van Lindert <franklin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 22:19:24 +0200
On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 09:58:19 -0500 (CDT), "Barry B. Bean"
<bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I disagree with this. eBay is a public forum, and the purpose of
>doing business in a public forum is to leave a trail behind all
>transactions. I think it is entirely proper to contact former buyers
>and sellers, particularly if there was a problem.

You are right, of course. But the contact should be made in a proper
way too. Not by gibing like B.O. did in this example:

>>In an attempt to see if I wanted to
>>risk bidding on this person's item, I jibed him a bit, via email, as to
>>whether a winning bidder in his auction could back out in a similarly
>>pressing circumstance. I think my example was if the winner's
>>spouse got pissed about the expenditure.

but by asking one's questions in a businesslike manner.
The quoted kind of email message to the seller suggests that the
decision (NOT to bid) had already been taken...
Which decision was the right one, BTW - no argument about that. In a
private message I wrote that I made the same decision, i.e. not to
bid, from the same feedback file. I didn't even think that it was
necessary to write about it...

BW, Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.