Re: [OM] OM1MD Shutter curtain

Subject: Re: [OM] OM1MD Shutter curtain
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 20:46:23 -0700 (PDT)
Vaughan wrote:
I am looking at buying an OM1MD (ie, not 1n) it's in good condition but

a wee bit scruffy. What worries me is that when looking from the back,
the rear-most shutter curtain is a little crooked -- the metal edge of
the curtain leans over to the right a bit (/) making <1mm gap at the
bottom. Is this problem enough to avoid it? Otherwise is sounds and
feels OK.
Vaughan,

You don't mention the price of the OM-1MD but, in any case, I'd avoid
buying that camera if I were you. A misaligned shutter curtain sounds
ominous to me; I wonder what caused it! You have to ask yourself the
question: "What if I have to get it fixed? Can it be done in
Australia?"

When I lived in Sydney 10 years ago, I had to have an OM-2N repaired
because of a damaged meter. I asked around but I couldn't locate an
Olympus repairer. I eventually took it to a large camera store in
George St., Sydney (forget the name but I think it was somewhere near
the end of Hunter St.) I had to wait several weeks and also pay quite a
high price for the repair. My camera had obviously been sent away
somewhere for the repair work - possibly to Japan.

There should be other OMs around in Australia, although I realise the
market there isn't as big as in the US or Europe. Anyway, I suggest you
save yourself some grief and search for another OM that will meet your
needs.

Good luck and best regards,

=====
Ray