Re: [OM] 80/4.0 macro lenses diff

Subject: Re: [OM] 80/4.0 macro lenses diff
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 18:37:17 -0400 (EDT)
> I thinking about buying a 80/4.0 macro lens and was just wondering
> what are the differences between the two versions of them.

The obvious difference is the auto vs manual diaphragm, but there are some
other minor differences.  The auto version stops down to f32 whereas the
manual version only goes down to f22.  The manual version also has some built
in extension which is not present in the auto version.  Theoretically the
auto version would be able to give a slightly lower magnification than
the manual one when used on a bellows/auto-tube.  Realistically it won't
matter much, and besides, it's well outside the optimal magnification of
either lens.

> Is the 80mm close-up lens interchangable between these two or only
> usable on the newer one (with the protruding rear elements) ?

It should work on both versions.

> I know they must be used with AutoBellow or TelescopicAutoTube,
> it seems to me that it should be possible to use the old lens
> also with the 7/14/25 mm (auto) extension tubes if this make any sense
> at all.

Yes, they can be used with the extension tubes, but with the auto version
you'll need at least 25mm of extension to go beyond the protruding element.
You will also have to use the Olympus extension tubes since 3'rd party tubes
don't have a large enough inner diameter to accept the protruding element.

Either lens is an excellent choice, but if you have the option of choosing
one, take the auto version.  It's much more convienient to work with.
                - mark