Re: [OM] Re: PhotoCD adjustments

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: PhotoCD adjustments
From: Acer V <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 13:21:08 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Joel Wilcox wrote:

>>white points is not always appropriate.  It really depends on the
>>image.<<<
>>
>>To my knowledge, the scanner needs to know where I want the darkest and
>>lightest points..can't really explain it well, but an analogy would be the
>>hilite and shadow comp buttons on the OM4. Something I missed?
>>

>Yes and no.  "Setting black and white points" usually means setting a
>"white" point to an RGB complement in the range of 244-255 and black to
>0-10.  You have to have a dark and light point, but the appropriate one may
>not be in this range.  The black usually is (again, not always), but the
>white may not be.

Well, since it's Tri-X I'm scanning, there usually is no shortage of
black, very easy to set. White is also normally there but in case it
ain't, I click the dropper on the white "background" around the image :)

>For film scanning, I use Vuescan, which gives one an option of "white
>balance," "auto," and just "none". I sometimes try "white balance" but
>usually use "none."  I tend to prefer using Photoshop's control for these
>things anyway.

Once in PS, I just adjust levels (or let it do auto levels) and ditto for
curves if a color photo.

/Acer V
--
dum spiro, spero