Re: [OM] Re: PhotoCD adjustments

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: PhotoCD adjustments
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 08:23:04 -0500
At 09:20 PM 7/8/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>white points is not always appropriate.  It really depends on the
>image.<<<
>
>To my knowledge, the scanner needs to know where I want the darkest and
>lightest points..can't really explain it well, but an analogy would be the
>hilite and shadow comp buttons on the OM4. Something I missed?

Yes and no.  "Setting black and white points" usually means setting a
"white" point to an RGB complement in the range of 244-255 and black to
0-10.  You have to have a dark and light point, but the appropriate one may
not be in this range.  The black usually is (again, not always), but the
white may not be.

For film scanning, I use Vuescan, which gives one an option of "white
balance," "auto," and just "none". I sometimes try "white balance" but
usually use "none."  I tend to prefer using Photoshop's control for these
things anyway.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA