[OM] Kinda OT, but....Ilford Cibachrome? Slides? Anyone?

Subject: [OM] Kinda OT, but....Ilford Cibachrome? Slides? Anyone?
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 09:41:23 +0200 (CEST)
Hi All,

I remember from "way back" when Ilford had a product called
"Cibachrome" for making color prints from slides. The advantages of that
product being that it was extremely easy to get good results: I seem to
remember that the temperature tolerance for the process was about 10
degrees (Celcius) and that only a minimum of filtering was required to get
the color balance "right". At least that is what I read in the Ilford
marketing stuff "way back"......

Now, I haven't been making prints from slides myself - of for that matter
shot more than one slide film myself (I am mainly shooting b/w, and only
occationally processing a negative color film), but I thought that it
might be interresting to take up (inspired by seeing some of Giles' nice
shots). Thus I did check up on Ilford's www-site, only to find that
Cibachrome was gone and replaced by something called "Ilfochrome Classic".

For starters, I intend to have the slide films developed at the lab, but
doing the printing myself (one step at the time...next comes processing of
the slide film, but when learning something new I figure it is wise to
minimize the possible screw-up factores....). I was wondering if any list
members have experiences (and advices...) on making color prints from
slides - preferably using Ilford Cobachrome / Ilfordchrome Classic?

I've done a lot (way too much, if you ask my other half...) b/w-processing
and some color processing too, but thus far not from slides. So advices,
references to litterature/www etc. will be very very welcome ;)

Also on that topic.....some kind guy gave me 3 rolls (120) of Fujichrome
Velvia - a 50 iso slide film. I shot one such roll just to get a feel of
how it was (my first slides ever - wo-hoo!!), and they seem to produce the
expected result (color-balance, contrast etc.). But is that the film to
use, or can the collective mind of the list reccomend something better
(that preferably exists in both 135 and 120 format)?

Uhmm...mandatory OM-contents??? Well...uhmm....it's about phography, and
it is likely that I will dedicate the OM2s for slides (when it gets back
from service) ;)

Best wishes from

--thomas