[OM] Lens site down (Update)

Subject: [OM] Lens site down (Update)
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 10:55:54 -0700
Thanks for the help from a number of OM list subscribers! The problem is
clearly a lack of bandwidth issue for AOL. There are more than a few AOL
members who's files in their FTP space are not downloadable without a
connection reset error. It is really sad for those who are expecting
their eBay pictures to show up. And it is doubly sad for those who call
AOL tech supprt and spend days loooking at every issue but the real one.

Looks like I need to find an alternative service provider for FTP
uploads and will have to move the lens test site. I  don't have much
confidence in AOL fixing the problem.  I suspect that there has been a
dramatic increase in the traffic off of AOL's FTP servers due in no
small part to the popularity of eBay.  Other service providers, like
Earthlink, charge the user if the hits to their FTP content are
excessive. The fine print of the contract tells you there is like a 150
MB/mo. limit. So folks get a $4.95 account with AOL and load up 7
screennames with FTP content and pay nothing for throughput (or whatever
it is called). And there you have it . . .

My favorite excuse (AOL): "it is because of using Adobe Photoshop 4.0.1,
which has an obsolete implementation of the JPEG compression routine"
Outcome: The same thing happened after buying and installing Corel
PhotoPAINT 9.0, installing Service Pack 3 and attempting every possible
variation of a .jpg file. Another (Earthlink): The procedure we just had
you do (remove Dial-up Networking and reinstall it) resulted in you
"crossing versions" (I reinstalled Dial-up Networking off Win95 SR1 .cab
files when I had Win95B on the computer). Therefore we have to end tech
support right now and refer you to Microsoft for any further
remediation.

At least I now once again have a thoroughly fine tuned computer with
various hardware and software upgrades. Too bad all that effort went
into what is now a Pentium 180 MMX  :-(  But it is amazing what
performance one can tweak out of such a dinosaur.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV