Re: [OM] Favorite targets & profile

Subject: Re: [OM] Favorite targets & profile
From: RobBurn@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 23:48:03 EDT
Well, I just spent the day shooting photographs in one of my favorite places,
the local zoo. Took the grandkids, Michael (6) and Alyson (5). Michael had an
Olympus Trip loaded with Fujicolor and Alyson had a Fuji One-use camera. We
made it a family "photo shoot day." I'm starting them young.  <g>

Their dad, my youngest son, had an OM-1 w/winder  with 28-80 mm and 80-200 mm
"third party" zoom lenses. My adult daughter had an Olympus Stylus. (My wife
left her Stylus at home so she could enjoy the grandkids.) I used my OM-2,
but I did have two OM-1s in a case in the car, just for emergencies.  ;-)  I
limited myself to two of my favorite lenses, the Zuiko 28-70/F3.5-4.5 zoom (a
recent acquision) and the 75-150/f4 zoom (a twenty-six year old companion).
My Zuiko 300/f 4.5 is off in the Carolinas with my oldest son, who is
shooting lighthouses with his OM-10. I shot Fuji Sensia, ASA 100, since I
have been partial to slides for many years. It had been a few years since I
was at the zoo. I enjoyed it so much that I plan another trip soon.

I am fond of macro flower shots done with the Zuiko 50 mm/f 3.5 (another
twenty-five year old friend). I am fond of scenics and sunsets --
particularly fond of sunsets on the water. I like doing travel shots and
photographing people. I am rather eclectic. I mostly operate along the lines
of a rephrased military slogan, "If it don't move, shoot it!"  <g> I also
follow the original order at times, "If it moves, shoot it!" In other words,
I'm a rather typical photo nut. I shoot whatever strikes my fancy.

I am also a lover of B & W photography. I have been rebitten by the "B & W
bug." I have recently shot a few rolls of Tri-X 400 which I plan to develop
myself in Kodak's HC 110 and print with a coldlight head on my enlarger. I
hauled in lumber to wall off a darkroom in my basement. It's time I called
some of my old (but well-preserved) enlarging equipment back to active duty.
There's a new generation coming up. I'm overhauling a couple of OM-10s for
them. I can't wait to see their eyes light up as their first B & W pictures
pop into view in the old Dektol.

Although I am a 35 mm fan (since around 1953) I have also shot twin-lens
reflex 2 1/4 X 2 1/4 in B & W. I recently snagged a 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 Graflex
Crown Graphic press camera off Ebay which I plan to use as a view camera for
B & W experimentation. It came with a dozen film holders, a Graflex six-sheet
semi-automatic film loader and a Graflex 120 roll film back. Why not 4 X 5?
Because my enlarger will do up to 2 1/4 by 3 1/4 and I have the negative
carrier and lens for it.  <g>

BTW, Lex -- I used to ride a motorcycle. I was active in CB years ago, before
everyone had one. Used to hunt and fish a lot. I am still an avid pistol
shooter and reloader. Don't use my shotgun all that much any more. I've never
been a car collector, but I still love fast cars. I'm an avid reader. I love
to travel. I'm a do-it-yourself'er. And I hold an advanced degree. Does that
fit your OM'er profile?

Oh yes, I am also a Macintosh computer user, although I did build myself a
Windoze computer a few months ago to exchange material with the ones they use
at work. I have an Epson scanner, but it doesn't do slides and I don't do
pictures. Guess I'm going to have to get me a slide scanner and learn how to
use Photoshop so I can toss a few shots into the mix.

Robert