Re: [OM] copyright issues

Subject: Re: [OM] copyright issues
From: Andy Beals <bandy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:27:23 -0700
Cc: bandy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:58:31 -0700, johncw@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Chris Reik wrote:
>
> >Maybe I'm missing something here, but how the hell can you
> >copyright a building?

The Pebble Beach Company [or whoever in the fairying forest they are] think
you can own every possible image of this one cedar tree growing on a bluff.

> Think about it, it just doesn't make sense.

At least the cedar tree is on private property.    But anyone in a car is
allowed to pay $5.00 [US] to drive by and or stop.  Sounds like a shrink-wrap
license to me.

> >Besides, any picture you take and develop is automatically
> >copyrighted to yourself. So just thumb your nose at them and
> >take their picture.
>
> You can't.

Depends on who has more money to pay for lawyers.  Please remember that we
live by the golden rule: them who has the gold makes the rules.

> Dirk Wright: I did exagerate on San Quentin and Leavenworth, maybe it was
> Sing Sing! Also, I can't name a single court case off-hand.
>
> John Hudson: I agree.

Bet that the Curry Company would copyright any and every image of El Capitan
[big rock formation in Yosemite National Park -- the Curry Company has held
the franchise to everything in the park for as long as it has been extant] if
they could.

> All: Have a great weekend and a safe one. I am not what you call a super
> patriot, but remember why we celebrate.

Yeah, we kicked British ass because of a lousy THREE PERCENT tax on tea and
the gun-grabbing that happened in return.