Re: [OM] Infrared films

Subject: Re: [OM] Infrared films
From: "Simon E" <ruralwales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 07:16:10 GMT
Francois Corriveau wrote:

One of my friend gave me 3 rolls of infrared films but I really don't >know how to use those...

My suggestions:

1. Find out which type of film it is. If it is Kodak HIE do *not* attempt to open the cassette or load the film even in subdued light. Use a darkroom or changing bag.

2. Read the information and FAQ linked from my SFX200 page:
http://www.mawddwy.freeserve.co.uk/sfx200.htm

3. A 25 red filter will give you fairly good infra-red effects, while a deep red or visually opaque filter will make it more powerful. I suggest you experiment, bracket and see how you go. What meter reading you use will depend on the film brand and the conditions you shoot in.

4. Don't use it in an autofocus/auto-wind modern camera - many of them have IR film sensors which will fog IR film.

Simon E.