Re: [OM] an old fantasy

Subject: Re: [OM] an old fantasy
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 14:49:02 PDT
As the thread increasingly drifts OT...

...at a spring arts fair I saw the work of a fellow who displayed two distinctly different types of photography: monochromatic panoramics approx. 10"-14" in width; and those hugh Polaroids (24"x36"?) done by photographers like Elsa Dorfman, William Wegman, Joyce Tenneson, etc.

This fellow didn't want to be tied down to the tiny handful of cameras owned by Polaroid that must be rented for the job. So he built his own. His photos were of exquisitely arranged fruits, vegetables, flowers and similarly colorful items, seemingly suspended in air. (I suspect they were suspended on skewers from behind but didn't ask.) They were masterfully lighted to conceal the technique while bringing out the full depth of each arrangement. Then, to top it all off, he used the tilt mechnism of his hand-crafted camera to selectively focus on a plane off-axis from that of the film.

The entire effect was magnificent. And mesmerizing. I stood there for perhaps an hour looking at just two or three images.

Hardly anyone else gave those photographs a second glance. Most people were taken by the relatively miniature panoramics.

They simply did not appreciate the singular artistry and craftsmanship that was imbued into each, one of a kind, Polaroid photograph.

Lex
===

From: Garry Lewis <glewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>With memories of the OM influence, would my paintings all be miniatures done
>with very small brushes?

>Lex

In 1970, I knew a girl in my Jr. College art class that actually did this in the 2x3" format. Mostly horses and landscapes and she did it "for the challenge of control
of her media". Sold mostly to doll house makers.

                yours oils well yesterday-metol today,

                        Garry D. Lewis