RE: [OM] Flash for novices

Subject: RE: [OM] Flash for novices
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 23:58:09 PDT
Tony, take a look at my pix of Stevie Wonder in concert. If these seem of acceptable quality to you then I can explain my approach.

http://www.photoscene.com/lexjenkins/viewfind.htm

Please pardon the largish download - I figured the image would be more helpful if accompanied by the captions. Basically, I used Tri-X pushed to 800, a shutter speed of 1/8 to 1/15 second, and steadied myself as best I could. Since I was sitting or crouching this wasn't too difficult.

Use fast film, a fast telephoto and practice holding steady. I can't imagine using a tripod or monopod at a concert, even if it were permitted. If necessary I might borrow a friend's should to steady myself against.

If the choice were between a 135mm f/2.8 and a 200mm f/4 or f/5, I'd take the 135mm, enlarging and cropping to get the desired image out of the negative. Personal preference, tho'.

Films are better these days and I'd suggest something like Fuji 800 Superia X-tra (readily available), or the fast films from Kodak and Fuji intended for photojournalists (will require a trip to the camera shop).

And I like the look a slowish shutter speed lends to concert photos. I don't much care for frozen-action shots. Live musical performance is a fluid event, and a bit of blur from motion, camera shake, or simply being out of focus captures the feel of the event better, to my tastes. Ian and other list members have nicely captured this feel in their concert images as well.

Lex

From: "Tony Halmarack" <tony.halmarack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I've got the tripod, appropriate ( I think) shutter speed and I can get the fast film, I guess. So that leaves the choice and purchase of a suitable lens. Can you please offer any suggestions on this one?