RE: [OM] Flash for novices

Subject: RE: [OM] Flash for novices
From: "Tony Halmarack" <tony.halmarack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 20:36:27 +0100
Hi Robert,

thanks for the good advice.

> Tony Halmarack writes:
>
> << > Can anyone please advice me on a flash system the will be suitable for
> general purpose outdoor use please?  >>
>
> Tony, please understand that any flash you use for photographing outdoors, in
> concert halls, towards the stage in an auditorium/playhouse, etc. is not
> going to behave as you might think.

Oh well! I still often fall for thinking that these problems can be solved by
throwing money in the most obvious direction. I'm not as firmly convinced as I
used to be though, so what you say comes as only a small shock.

> Flashes are designed for the most part to
> be used in more confined places and are intended to produce a large part of
> the illumination for the photograph from light bounced off or reflected from
> walls and ceilings. This tends to intensify the effect of the light produced.
> This works very well in regular sized rooms, but in outdoor areas and large
> open spaces this bounce light is virtually nonexistent. Therefore the light
> from the flash will not be augmented by reflected light and will have to be
> strong enought to reach the subject through direct frontal lighting. That
> takes a strong directional focus flash. i.e. one with a rather narrow beam.
> Otherwise, use of the flash may be limited to frontal lighting of close
> subjects.

Well, I've already come to terms with the idea of a flash extender for my
prospective T32.
Even then, from what you say, It would still be a struggle to turn night into
day.

> Those little firefly-like flashes you see in stadiums and such from point and
> shoot cameras are doing no more than creating little flashes of light from
> the cameras. Anything beyond 10-12 feet isn't going to benefit in the
> slightest. The light emitted allows you to see that the camera flashed, but
> is ineffective in reaching long distances or lighting large expanses. It's
> like lighting a match outside in the dark attempting to see something 50
> yards away.Put another way, iIt's like adjusting your hose nozzle to fine
> spray and then trying to shoot the water across the street. It won't reach.

Yes but aren't all those guys making useless little flashes in the dark going to
think I'm
trying to piggy-back on their illumination efforts if I start clicking away in
my usual unspectacular fashion?

> If there is enough ambient light from other sources, you can still get your
> photographs without flash. It requires a suitable lens, a wide aperture, an
> appropriate shutter speed and a fast film. If you are shooting stills, a
> tripod and extended exposure times may net you some nice shots.

I've got the tripod, appropriate ( I think) shutter speed and I can get the fast
film, I guess.
So that leaves the choice and purchase of a suitable lens. Can you please offer
any suggestions on this one?

> Hope this helps.

Very educational Robert. It's certainly helped me to remember that solutions
often aren't as simple as they first appear to be. So what's new? :-)

Ta ra,

Tony Halmarack
Email: tony.halmarack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx