Re: [OM] Doinko of the day

Subject: Re: [OM] Doinko of the day
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 22:15:06 PDT
In light of the recent stories of cameras being dropped, dribbled and doinked, I've mended my ways before any gear needs to be mended.

Up 'til now I've used a nylon strap with Zytel (hard nylon) quick-release hooks on the OM-1. I don't like straps on a camera that's often tripod mounted, as the OM-1 will be.

At home a couple of days ago I was looking through the viewfinder while using a 50/1.8 with a close up diopter lens. As I habitually have done for years I was holding the camera with the neckstrap wrapped a couple of turns around my wrist and with the strap between my index and middle fingers. (In this case the Zytel hook was between my fingers.)

I've always felt this gives me a secure one-hand grip since if the camera slips from my grasp the first line of defense is to reflexively hook my index finger, effectively slowing or halting the camera's fall. Even if this fails the strap is wrapped around my wrist, preventing it from falling to the floor.

While I don't object to wearing a camera around my neck, I often take it off while shooting. The only time I've ever dropped a camera was when I dribbled my XA3 a few years ago, which I usually carry in a pocket with no strap. (The XA3 still works fine.)

But the other day I found a flaw in my system. Inadvertently I grasped the Zytel quick release hook between my index and middle fingers in such a way that it became detached from the ring on the body lug. I didn't notice it until I began to unwrap the strap from my wrist.

Yikes.

I immediately switched to a more secure strap, the type that's double-threaded through buckles with a retaining clip. I'll learn to live with the strap while the camera's on a tripod.

Dave Bulger will be relieved, I'm sure!  (Insider reference.)

Lex