Re: [OM] Reflections on a great weekend shooting NASCAR at Sears Point

Subject: Re: [OM] Reflections on a great weekend shooting NASCAR at Sears Point (Some OT stuff)
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 11:47:21 -0700
In a message dated 6/27/2000 "Dirk Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx> asks:

<< Mike, do you shoot on spec or assignment? I'm curious about your
business. What kind of people are your clients? Teams? Drivers?
Publications? >>

Yes to all is the real answer. Yes, much of what I shoot is for my own
spec but I must have some kind of an assignment to obtain the media
credentials to shoot from restricted areas with. At this point, aside
from the publications that give me these assignments (which are mostly
web-zines and car club magazines--no major publications...yet), my
clients tend to be mostly advertising agencies, print sales customers
(read fans, teams, etc.), and some work for smaller teams as well as
event promotions (images for event programs and posters). Most of what
actually generates income comes from spec (surprisingly a lot of my old
work actually) rather than assignment. While I do sell prints off my
website, I don't try to pawn off prints at the tracks like I see some
others doing.

I get many inquiries from other (many very good) racing photographers
asking if they can display work on my site. This is something I am
considering. Still not sure if I really want to go there or not though.

I only just founded the business and created the web presence a little
over a year ago. I still am chained to a "day job" since I have a family
to support. The long term plan is to slowly build the business up to the
point where it could, perhaps, replace the day job once the kids are
grown and my wife and I are more free to travel to cover more events. I
must say that I am quite pleased with the way things have gone so
far...better than I expected actually. Actually making money doing
racing photography was something I dreamed of doing some 20 years back.
The dream looked so unrealistic that I had abandoned it a long time ago
after my first unsuccessful attempt in the late 1980s. I never stopped
shooting though since auto racing and photography are two things I
really enjoy and combining them just makes sense to me. With the ability
to market my work globally via the internet now what once looked like an
impossible dream is starting to become a reality. Time will tell just
how much success I will get to enjoy. By doing things my way and on my
terms I perhaps loose some income potential and will certainly have to
weigh the options as time moves on, but for now I am pleased with the
way things seem to be evolving. I would be doing this regardless...but
trying to make a go of it professionally seems to make sense. I admit
that I find myself both humbled and discouraged at times...but people
seem to enjoy what I offer and that helps keep me motivated to keep at
it. I do know I will never stop learning and evolving what I do, and I
will always enjoy doing it.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com