RE: [OM] UK novice needs simple flash advice please

Subject: RE: [OM] UK novice needs simple flash advice please
From: "Tony Halmarack" <tony.halmarack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 19:41:49 +0100
> Hi Tony.
>
> First you need to realize that most of the cameras you see flashing at
> outdoor events do not have a flash capable of reaching the stage with enough
> light to accomplish anything.  So what is happening?  The film that is being
> used is fast enough and there is usually quite a large number of  stage
> lights trained on the stage to take acceptable photographs. So a flash is
> not always necessary and will not help much unless you are near the stage.

I did consider that I might want to photograph the performers on the stage, so
what you say here provides me with some useful knowledge. Mainly though I'll be
trying to get some good snaps of my family members enjoying the festivities in
the (semi) dark.

> That said there are two Olympus flash units that comfortably fit on the
> OM1n; the T20 and, the almost twice as large, T32.  The T20 will give enough
> light with an aperture of f8 and 400 iso film to be about 16 ft away while
> the T32 with the same f-stop and film will let you be about 26 feet away.
> That is when they are in normal auto mode.
> The only advantage of using an Olympus flash (or OM dedicated flash)  is the
> ready light that will appear in the viewfinder.  Other flash units will work
> on the OM1n as well for less money but usually (unless specifically
> dedicated to the OM system)  do not include the ready light in the
> viewfinder.

I like the idea of the T32, so I'll search the web for some prices. I don't know
how many
photographers would pay what sounds like a hefty premium for the "ready light"
of the Olympus equipment, but I might go for the OM stuff  just because it will
tend to make me feel that I've made a safer bet. I suppose I'd be unlikely to be
disappointed in buying the genuine and original article.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

Tony
Email: tony.halmarack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx