Re: [OM] Lots of time, but...

Subject: Re: [OM] Lots of time, but...
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 15:35:20 PDT
Donald MacDonald considers toting the following for the Tour de France and asks:

    28/3.5 Zuiko
    35/2 Zuiko
    50/1.8 Zuiko
    85/2 Zuiko
    135/2.8 Zuiko
    35-70/4 Zuiko
    75-150/4 Zuiko

    500/8 Catadioptric Centon

    28-70/3.5 - 4.8 Macro Miranda
    60-200/4-5.6 Sigma

Any comments, suggestions, advice, offers of loans ;-) ?

Yeh! That's *way* too much gear if you plan to also enjoy your trip! I'm a former photojournalist and am still inclined to tote only the equivalent of what I did then. So I'd suggest:

The OM-10 wearing the 35-70/4 Zuiko

The OM-2n wearing the 75-150/4 Zuiko or 85/2 Zuiko, but not both

*The 35/2 *or* the 50/1.8, but not both

The 28/3.5 Zuiko

The 500/8 cat

(*Personally, I'd even consider leaving the 35/2 and 50/1.8 behind since you're carrying a pair of XA minis as backups.)

That's it. Leave the rest at home, especially the Sigma and Miranda zooms. This, of course, is assuming those few lenses are in perfect working order.

The point is, you're on vacation. Why spoil it by turning yourself into a porter? Sometimes it's better to just be in the moment and keep the memory rather than try to experience it through a viewfinder.
---
Lex