[OM] future oly offerings [digi]

Subject: [OM] future oly offerings [digi]
From: Andy Beals <bandy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 17:18:59 -0700
After a "short" visit to the Magic Kingdom, here are a few things that I would
like on my next digicam:

* Sticky autofocus -- pick an object, set the focus, sticks until I press the
  magic button again.

* Additional CCD arrays [higher sensitivity than the "400 ASA" the c2500 gives
me]

* Triplet CCD arrays?  I see this feature on the top-end digividcams.  Use a
prism to
  to split the light, then have one array for each color.

* Manual focus by twisting a knob around the lens.  Doesn't have to be coupled
-- and
  I really like the fact that the D620 and C2500's optics are safely tucked
away from
  harm.  This has gotta stay sticky as well.

* Multiple media slots with fail-over.  Once one fills up, switch to the next.
 The
  C2500 might have this, but it doesn't seem like it.  It certainly doesn't
  auto-switch to the occupied slot when there's only one media card in it.

* Faster cycle time -- one two three four five shots is ok for slow situations
but for
  a parade, party or sporting event, it just won't do.

* Better styling.  Frankencamera [C2500 and even worse the C2100] doesn't Do
Me in
  the "Looks great!  Gotta have it!" department.  I still have a serious Jones
for
  the LT-Zoom 105 DLX.  Retro-digicam, anyone?

* USB interface?  So long as I get to keep removable media and you get rid of
that
  silly serial port!

* Stereo capability.  Or even a stereo p&s.  Don't make me buy a pair of those
  sub-$100 cheapies and whip out my Dremel tool!  [I can wish, can't I?]

* Faster autofocus.  I hate it, but it does have its place.

* Autofocus that can lock onto [predictably] moving targets. [Next generation
should
  be able to keep focused on, say, a hummingbird or a dragonfly.]

* Better range of f-stops.

* Optical image stabilization.  [I have shaky hands.]

* Quicker metering.  No need to run the flash again if I just took a picture
an Nth
  of a second ago, no need to meter, just go with what you last had.
[Optional mode,
  of course]

Fill this list and I'll drop my C2500 like a hot potato!