Re: [OM] Re: What to reccomend: beginners camera?

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: What to reccomend: beginners camera?
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 15:30:43 +0200
On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 04:51:52PM -0400, miaim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 01:01:38 -0700 (PDT)
> >From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
 However, I'm not sure I'd
> >recommend OM to someone just beginning in photography. Don't get me
> >wrong, I love OM; but you have to think of the future, and I'm not sure
> >there's going to be much support for OM in a few years' time.

. However, as my
> interest in photography has broadened, I'm already noticing some potential
> gaps in lens availability for my OM bodies. For instance, aftermarket
> makers of new wide range zooms with all the latest computer designed glass
> and latest multi-coatings do not offer anything to fit OM's any more.
> Whether that is, or even should be, an issue at this point is debatable,
> but things can only get worse as even better lenses are designed.

Are newer (designed) lenses really better? - Hard to say. Even a Zeiss engineer
admitted that maximal optical quality isn`t the only design goal anymore, when
a certain high amount is reached.
It is no use when a lens is better than necessary and visible, and
priceworthness
is getting more and more importend.
The only Manufacturer, I know, who is designing new lenses with a new dimension
of
optical-performance, not possible 20 years ago, is Leitz. The optical quality
of their new
lens series is breathtaking. But look at the price and the size necessary for
this lenses.
Even the Zuiko-Zoom 5/85-250 looks tiny compared to the new Leica-equivalent.
The Vario-Elmar 4.2/105-280 `s lengh is 232mm and its weight is 1950g - more
than double.

And there are even more contrasty examples. Even compred with the new
M-System lenses ( The compact system of Leitz)  does the Zuiko`s make look
tiny.

Will the
> current crop of really huge range (28-300 or so) lenses stack up to
> existing and plentiful OM primes? NO. But will the next generation of them
> stack up to older Zuiko zooms?????? Probably. So the OM shooter wanting a
> one-size fits most applications lens will wind up carrying more lenses.

No, the only real "one size fits ..."-lens is the Olympus 2.0/90 Macro :-),
because all the prayed Mega-...- Zoom will let you stumble one day either over
missing speed or missing close focus cababilities. And no comparison to Quality.

Frieder Faig