Re: [OM] OT: Flinders Ranges (was how's the weather)

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Flinders Ranges (was how's the weather)
From: "GigGuide@CityZine" <gigguide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:41:32 +1000
Wayne,

I strongly recommend heading north towards the north Flinders Ranges and
Arkaroola.  The trip there is very rugged, lots of cattle grates and dusty
roads.  If you intend going, make sure you bone up on and take all the usual
precautions when travelling along tracks in isolated areas.  There are no
fuel stops or water and very few homesteads (often 100kms apart), and no
mobile phone access if you break down.  "Let someone know before you go."

Once at Arkaraoola, there's camping and water available, hell, there's even
a bar!  Using Arkaroola as your base there are several walking or 4WD or
rough vehicle tracks available for travel inlcuding secluded waterholes in
the middle of the desert that attract much wildlife (including extremely
rare rock wallabies - quietness and patience is required).  Geologically,
the area is of extreme interest.  There is a lot of mineralisation (yep, you
can pick up tiny gemstones on the ground) and vast slabs of ripple rock from
the time when this area a thousand kilometres inland was a sea.   Also,
because of the big wet in the north, you may see water in some of the salt
lakes on the trip up, a real rarity and flourishing vegetation and wildlife.
There are many other areas and features to recommend, but the list would go
on and on.

Take all safety precautions and enjoy your trip, it's an unforgettable
experience.

Mike Atkinson