Re: [OM] Metering with a polarizing filter...

Subject: Re: [OM] Metering with a polarizing filter...
From: "Windrim, Brian" <brian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 17:27:51 +0100
Frieder wrote:

>> An example, when you use a polarizer to darken the
>> sky. A TTL-meter faultly indicates different exposure
>> when rotated. - Guess this is what makes you ask this
>> question.
>> The problem is:
>> The more you turn the filter to darken the sky the more
>> the TTL-metering-System increases the exposure value to
>> get a correct 180icture from the sky....Uups... :-(.
>>
>> (This is not always obvious, when there is a large Subject,
>> which is not affeced by the filter, in the central-meassure
>> area)
>>
>> This is one reason why I´m thinking to get a hand-held-meter,
>> despite the fabulous OM-spot metering capabilities.

What you say is true of averaged or centre-weighted TTL meters,
but manual spot metering with the OM2SP/3/4 does *not* tie you
to 18 0rey.

Instead you can spot-meter through the polariser and - by placing
the spot reading on the bar-graph scale - determine *exactly* how
a given patch of sky, whether white cloud or blue sky, is going
to appear on film.

(It is easier to do this with OM3 and 4 as the 2SP meter scale
lacks a full range of "zone" markings.)

I realise that I'm preaching to the converted but I find that
once I know how the tonal scale of the film relates to the
spotmeter scale I'm seldom surprised or disappointed by what
appears on the resulting slide, filters or no, and I hardly
ever feel a need to bracket.

As I see it, the long-scale spotmeter display is *why* the OM3/4
meter is the best ever put into a camera body, and why other
cameras' spotmetering modes just don't match up.

-Brian