Re: [OM] Got one on Tom in his own backyard (long)

Subject: Re: [OM] Got one on Tom in his own backyard (long)
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 16:38:57 PDT
Herbert Keppler (Pop Photo, formerly - sigh - of Modern Photo) has reported more than once, and most recently I believe in Feb. or Nov. '97, about how good these preset teles were and are. The 400mm f/6.3 was quite common for a while, especially when I was a teenangster first getting into photography in the early '70s. The 500mm f/8 is more common now and still made. Those lenses were reportedly made by just a couple of optical makers in those days, so it doesn't make much difference whose label is on 'em - Spiratone, Vivitar, Cambron and a zillion others. I've seen more variation in the current crop of 500/8 lens so apparently more manufacturers have joined the fray.

Pretty generic lens formula according to Robert Monaghan, who's also a fan of these lenses. As am I. My single favorite lens is a Lentar preset 135mm f/3.5, tho' my favorite or most used type of lens is a normal 50mm f/whatever. The Lentar's bokeh is wonderful. And the preset design gives me a look at depth of field, a feature missing from my Canon T70 bodies. That's one reason I'm so anxious to find a compatible T-mount adaptor for my Vivitar 300mm f/5.6 preset.

As Dave mentioned, the 400/6.3 is relatively light. So is the 500/8. They're mostly tube with, maybe, three strategically placed elements. But so are the Zuiko super-teles, looking at the cutaway drawings. Oddly, the smaller teles like mine *seem* heavier, but that's probably relative to the length. They feel like nearly solid metal.

Lex