Re: [OM] Contest Grand Prize

Subject: Re: [OM] Contest Grand Prize
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 20:29:17 PDT
I *still* don't understand desert right next to lakes. I've seen this
before, and I can't figure out why there aren't some water-loving plants like willows growing at the water's edge, or even cattails in the shallow part of the water. weird.

Dirk Wright

Understandable. Gary Reese can probably answer this far more authoritatively than I, considering his profession, but from what I've seen of Texas lakes (mostly manmade) it depends on the original geology. Many of our lakes were simply flooded limestone and gravel quarries. The pH level is agreeable only to certain flora. My favorite fishing hole is one of those since the shoreline is relatively clear and I don't have a boat. I don't know how well fish would fare on their own there, but it's kept stocked anyway.

Other lakes, like the one I live on, is flooded former farmland. Muddy, silty, very rich, and relatively shallow on our end. The kind of lake only mudcats and cattails could love. (I was gonna say turtles, too, but couldn't make a cat reference fit.)

Lex