Re: [OM] Lightning

Subject: Re: [OM] Lightning
From: "Bov, Frank" <Frank.Bov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 16:54:39 -0400
Ken,
Small point of order. The air doesn't "burn" in a chemical sense. Rather, we
see an emission from electrons ionized by the lightning as they recombine
with an atom..

The electrical short you describe travels a highly conductive path defined
by ionization of the air molecules. Once this path is established, a
humongous current flows down it and other paths nearby. That current reeks
havoc with the electrons in the surrounding air, stripping some of them from
the atoms.

A spark is just the energy released at visible wavelengths as these
electrons find their way home. The actual emission is quite broad band, as
anyone with a radio on at the time will attest, and yes, in a small number
of cases, ions combine in something other than their original configuration,
effectively "burning;" you can sometimes smell the ozone.

But the flash we see is more akin to fluorescence than oxidation.

And photographing it sounds like fun, either way!

Frank

> Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 23:57:09 -0500
> From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] Lightining