[OM] Lens or body problem?

Subject: [OM] Lens or body problem?
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 21:29:58 +0100
G'day all,

I have a wee mechanical problem and I'm wondering if anyone can throw
some light on it.

I've just bought a used lens - 90/2 macro, which is, as everybody
says, a real beaut. However, it doesn't get on with my OM4Ti. It's
fine wide open, but stop it down even just to f/2.8 and the shutter
doesn't fire. The mirror goes up, but the shutter doesn't open. First
time through I thought it was dead batteries, but putting new ones in
had no effect. The only thing that brings the camera back to life is
going as if to remove the lens from the body - press the button in and
give just the tiniest twist and the shutter fires.

I've never seen this before. This body is fine with all other lenses.
This lens is fine on every body that I've tried except my 4Ti (2N,
2SP, rather sick 4 and new 3Ti), so I'm a bit baffled. An obvious
culprit might be the diaphragm stop down lever on the lens, but it
doesn't feel at alll sticky or heavy to me.

Any suggestions?

John