Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1683

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1683
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 06:50:20 PDT
Rick Beckrich wonders:
With the hassle of getting batteries for my Om-1MD, and the whoa prices for alternative solutions... imagine my surprise at finding Energizer AC675E ZINC-AIR 1.4V @ 4 for $4.92 in that exotic marketplace for the elite, Giant Foods, today..The size fits my old Konica C35, wonder if I can make it work in the OM-1?<

Absolutely, Rick. Those ordinary zinc air hearing aid batteries are what I'm using in my OM-1 and Canon FTbn right now. They meter perfectly on everything I've tried so far, but that doesn't include really picky films like Velvia or Kodachrome. I plan to try a roll of K'chrome next, and I'm confident it'll meter fine.

The trick is to make sure there's enough spring tension in the battery compartment to keep the undersized 675 cell centered well enough to make good contact. Apparently it's not terribly difficult 'cause I've never had a problem yet with mine losing contact intermittently.

Also gotta make sure the correct polarity is observed, since the hearing aid batteries are kinda flip-flopped from 625 cells. No biggie. (Vernacular alert for our friends overseas: No biggie = Not a big deal; nothing to worry about; not a problem; etc. ;-)

I've thought about making a rubber o-ring collar to bring the 675 cell up to 625 size, but so far it hasn't been necessary.

Lex