[OM] Prefire Technical mod on OM4(T)

Subject: [OM] Prefire Technical mod on OM4(T)
From: Eric Pederson <epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 13:18:57 -0700 (PDT)
Greetings! Here's my question for the day:

What are the chances of reasonably modifying a OM4 so that it has
aperture-prefire/mirror-lock up without the long self-timer delay?

The most likely route that I can imagine would be to convert the
self-timer delay to something more reasonable like 1/2 second to give the
camera a bit of time to stop shaking. Probably would require a complete
circuit redesign and be practically impossible, but maybe ...

For those who don't do any outdoor macro-work, you may not realize the
frustration of pressing the shutter-release when the subject and breeze
conditions are perfect and then watching with horror as the breeze picks
up and the moth flies away. I originally used just an OM1 (bought new in
70's), decided I wanted a second body, so I bought an OM4T (new in early
90's) without really knowing anything about the camera. I still remember
my shock when I discovered that Olympus had "forgotten" to include the
mirror-lock up on the new model. Sure, you can argue about electronic vs.
mechanical control, but I understand they "forgot" the lock-up on the OM3
as well.  Was this the tacit acknowledgement that they had given up hope
on the serious photography market??

More generally, I find it interesting that there is so little discussion
of physical modification of equipment. Not that I would dare myself....
:-)

Eric Pederson
epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (no "n" in "epederso")
Professional home page: