Re: [OM] Lens chatter (wuz 'Greetings and Salutations')

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens chatter (wuz 'Greetings and Salutations')
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 15:19:25 +0200
On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 11:52:36AM -0700, Lex Jenkins wrote:
> Me:

> Ahh, interesting.  I've been puzzled about what's appropriate when using
> other-than-macro lenses with various close up devices (close up diopter
> lenses, extension tubes, Vivitar's macro focusing 2x teleconverter).  For
> example, is it considered best to leave a normal lens focused at infinity
> for best results and move the camera or subject to within focus range?  Or
> is it okay to use the lens' focus mechanism to get maximum magnification
> when combined with diopters, extension tubes, etc.?  I've never read a
> definitive answer on this.  My own informal tests of 2D objects doesn't
> reveal any particular difference, but I may be less critical than some.

When the lens has no Floating Elements there is no difference weather you use
it at infinity or close focused with extention. Floating-Element Lenses sould
be used
with lens focus mechanism set to minimum distance. But I guess this influence
is only
significant when you use the lens wide open - What you usually don`t do in
Macro work.

> That reminds me ... with a lens like Vivitar's old 90mm f/2.8 macro (the
> non-Series 1 version) that goes 1:1 without an extension tube - does this
> type of design inherently involve either a loss of effective focal length,
> effective aperture, or both as it's extended to maximum magnification?
> Again, I haven't been able to find a definitive answer anywhere.

Easy to find out. For 1:1 magnification a lens mus be elongated for it`s focal
length.
Take a ruler and meassure the lenght of the lens when focused to
1:1-magnification,
and subtract the lenght when focused to infinity.  If it matches the focal
length, it
loses 2-f-Stops. If it is the same (IF-lens), it loses half of effective focal
lengh. If it is
in between, It losses an (smaller) amount of both.

Frieder Faig