[OM] Om4 question

Subject: [OM] Om4 question
From: "Jonny Saljefeldt" <jonny.saljefeldt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 23:21:44 +0200
Hello List,

I've been lurking here for some time (in digest mode), and learning a
lot about Olympus and OM!

I am an OM-user since 1976, when I bought my first OM1 MD and Zuiko
28/3.5 new. Both are still very usable, in spite of their age and not
being CLAed.

Now please have patience and listen to my first question:

Recently I acquired a used black OM4 and Zuiko 35-70/4 lens for a good
(in Sweden that is!) price - approximately 580 USD. The body is in
*very* good condition, and it appears to have been used very little. It
has almost no signs of wear, except a small brassy spot above one of the
strap lugs. Works perfectly.

The body has s/n 1125xxx and date code TNF33 (March 1986?). What puzzles
me somewhat is this: Has this camera ever been serviced? The battery and
motor drive caps are silver, and the small opening at the bottom for the
motor drive rewind is also silver. When I look at the pictures of Tom
Scale's 2 black OM4s at his Zuikoholic website, I see that both (with
lower serial numbers than mine) have black caps and black rewind
openings. I remember reading somewhere that Oly stopped making black
caps some time after the OM4T(i) was introduced, but when was this
exactly? Was it maybe earlier? The caps could have been replaced of
course, but the rewind connection is not so easy to change, I imagine.

I haven't been able to measure the battery drain, but the battery check
signal shuts off after 30 seconds.

Jonny Saljefeldt
Sweden

PS