Re: [OM] collapsible monopod [light?]

Subject: Re: [OM] collapsible monopod [light?]
From: Jacques Leonard <email@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 22:19:06 -0400
>Going to Disneyland next week.  Have a fantasy about doing some night shots
>with my C2500L...  Or perhaps daylight with an IR filter?  Anyhow, this means
>I'd have to get my hands on a collapsible monopod -- or one that looks like a
>cane.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>tanks in ad vans
>
>       andy

Andy,

I would recommend you buy the CamCane, made in Great Britain and sold in
the States by Porters (http://www.porters.com/).

This device is a cane and a monopod but with a difference. It comes with a
rubber cup that you screw to the camera. The cane has a round head and you
just put the camera on this ball head.

Well, I can't really describe how it works but I can say it is way better
than a monopod for travel.

This "thing" won an award from Britain's Design council. As a designer
myself, I can tell you it is a VERY good design.

I had bought mine a few years back, after reading Shutterbugs Roger W.
Hicks praise about it.

The last time I was traveling in the Southwest with my wife, I had one.
Both of us wanted to use it at the same time. When we came home, I ordered
a second one from Porters.

Good points about it ?
1. It is light, yet solid
2. The camera is not fixed (or screwed) to it. So it is very fast to use.
3. It is really not expensive.
4. Very discret. When I checked my luggages at the airport, I kept it with
me on        the plane. The custom agent told me she also needed a cane to
walk when her legs hurts.

Anyway, you get the idea. It is very practical for travel.

Good luck,

Jacques Leonard
j.leonarddesigner@xxxxxxxxxxxx
web site: