Re: [OM] Re: Life is entertaining

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Life is entertaining
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 12:17:35 +0000
I am a "wide-angle" lover too (for scenic and landscape), but recently have
been trying some of the telphotos in situations that I would pick a
wide-angle for first.

A variation on Vaughan's exercise (a *very good* one I've done in the past)
is to take three lenses: a 28mm or 35mm, a 50mm, and one between 85mm and
135mm.  The most commonly used focal lengths are between 28mm and 135mm.
If you don't have primes, but a zoom, you can use it the same way: all the
way in, half-way, then all the way out (the 35-105mm comes to mind).

"Bracket" the same subject from approximately the same view with different
focal lengths, just as you might with exposure, different DOF, etc.  Force
yourself to use all three lenses (or focal lengths with a zoom) and do the
best you can with each one.  If you are experienced and don't feel
challenged by these lengths, then go more radical by replacing the 28 or 35
with an 18 or 21, and the 135 with a 200, but use only three lenses.

I tried doing this with a number of photos a few weeks ago based on a
suggestion from another list member.  Came up with some very interesting
results trying this with scenic and landscape subject material.  With a few
of them I like the telephoto results *better* than the wide-angle I would
have reached for first.

-- John