Re: [OM] Equipment sharing - an OM Co-op?

Subject: Re: [OM] Equipment sharing - an OM Co-op?
From: mike mitchell <mnmitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 09:55:10 -0500
Tom Scales wrote:

> An idea has been posed to me, and I thought I'd get everyone's opinions,
> particularly those in North America.
  Speak O God of Zuikdom!!!

> I 'think' I have an opportunity to buy a 350/2.8 with a 1.4x converter at a
> decent price, as I mentioned.
  While I don't have the 350/2.8, I did purchase a 1.4x converter in the
box from a
  camera shop for $10. It was listed under misc. lenses. How's that for
a DFFGF?
  It works very well with my Tokina 300/2.8

> So, here's the idea.  What if we ALL owned, or had access to the more
> specialized equipment.  Not as a money making endeavor for anyone, but as a
> cost sharing. Sort of like owning a 1/8 share in a private plane.
  Hmmm...this could work...

> I'd be willing (insanity jumping in here) in fronting the money, meaning
> buying most of the lenses and paying for the 'bulk' of them, perhaps not
> 100%, if we could come up with a reasonable financial algorithm that covered
> a part of the cost.
  Tom, you're on the right track...

> The downside is that I'd be regularly running to the post office to ship
> things, but if managed right, that's not a real crisis either.  I go pretty
> often as it is.
  OK, here is where I come in. After lurking on this list for 6 or so
months, this idea
  got my attention. As a Fedex employee, I get a great discount on
shipping, I can overnight
  just about any lens in the US for 5 bucks. Think about the money I
could save the co-op
  members on shipping, not to mention the last minute needs for those
critical shoot deadlines.
  Just send me ALL the equipment and I'll be more than happy to be the
official co-op shipping
  clerk and save you all the trips to the post office. This will give
you more time to look for
  more equipment for the co-op.

> If nothing else, this is an interesting tangent.  Hey, when you're stuck
> bored in a hospital room, your mind wanders.

  On a serious note, I hope for the best for your wife and your family.

  FYI... Brooklyn Camera Exchange has a Zuiko 90mm/2 Macro for $549
listed as EX++
  I purchased a 50/1.4 S/n >1,000,000 for $49 from them and was very
pleased with it's
  condition. As a result, they send me a newsletter and one just came in
the mail and
  the 90mm/f2 Macro is listed as a new arrival. Maybe someone can
satisfy their OlyLust.

  Mike