Re: [OM] fill-in-newbie

Subject: Re: [OM] fill-in-newbie
From: "Dirk Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 08:30:31 EDT
>Hi all, I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to
>fill-in-flash using the Oly gear. I have the T20
>and T32 flashes I would appreciate some tips on
>how to do fill in flash for backlit conditions on
>bright days outside. Do I use manual or auto to
>get the best results? I found the manuals on
>fill-in-flash to be a little lacking in depth.

In order to do fill flash in backlit conditions on an OM-2n in full
auto mode, set the exposure compensation dial to about +1. Experiment
with several shots by altering the compensation for each one and pick
the best one later. This way, the backgrounds will be overexposed but
the subject will be more or less correctly exposed.

With any camera in manual mode with a flash that has a "regular auto"
thyristor type circuit, set the film speed on the flash to a higher ISO
to reduce flash output, but set the exposure on the camera according to
it's own builtin meter and the correct ISO. On the flash also set the
"red/blue" switch to the setting with the larger hole over the
thyristor regardless of distance to subject to reduce flash power even
further. I typically set the flash to ISO 1000 and the larger hole when
using ISO 400 film. I'd probably set the flash to ISO 800 for 100 speed
film. You can also alter the f stop setting on the flash by setting it
to a numerically smaller f number than the one you are actually using
to achieve the same results. Altering the f number on the flash is the
better way, since you know exactly how many stops dimmer the flash
output will be, while the film speed method can be used on less
sophisticated flash units without f stop settings. The altering of the
film speed does not correspond one-to-one with equivalent f stop
reductions in flash output. The ratio is more like 3:1 rather than 2:1.
For 100 speed film, I seem to recall that setting the flash at ISO 300
will give a one stop reduction in flash output. I'm sure someone will
correct me on this.....

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright