[OM] RFC: Should I bail ?

Subject: [OM] RFC: Should I bail ?
From: "Gareth Knight" <gareth.knight@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 02:32:12 +0100
Dear all,

I must confess to being one of the list's lurkers on the whole, but I enjoy
watching the banter and listening to the experience of some of the
characters over the past two years.  I thought I would write and ask for
general comments on my dilemma over digital photography

I have been building up my Olympus collection for four years now, and
despite the relatively small spending power as a student, I have amassed
quite a collection now from extensive searching of small camera shops and
purchases from photographers I have met.  I was delighted to discover the
list, which allowed me to get a couple of rare lenses.

My problem is that increasingly of late, a lot of my photography has been of
the candid indoor evening variety - which calls for ease of focussing in dim
conditions and good flash support.  Whilst I persevered for a long time with
a OM2SP & Bounce grip 2, once the bounce grip circuit failed I had to buy in
a hurry and I bought an EOS 5 / 430EZ.  I am a great admirer of the OM
design, but I have to say that it simply cannot approach a wonderbrick for
ease of use in a dark pub after a few beers.

For all the outdoor photography, I find great pleasure in the Zuiko lenses
and timeless design of the bodies - my personal favourite is actually the
OM2, unfortunately I have never had the opportunity of using the OM1.

I use a Nikon Coolscan to bring the photos into my computer.  I am studying
Electronic Engineering, but in the current climate, web & database
development make lucrative summer jobs.  Hence, I share my photos with
friends and take re-prints orders over the web.  The scanning process takes
a long time though, and I have always been a man for digital inventions ...

What I would dearly love is a digital OM5/6 that I could use my Zuikos on.
Despite the odd murmur in the press, I have to conclude that this isn't
going to happen.  Failing this, I would like to replace the EOS with a
digital version as those shots are the ones most likely to end up on the
web.  The only likely digital SLR contender at the moment is the Nikon D1 as
far as I can see.  The problem is that in order to finance this, I would
have to sell my OM collection & the EOS, and hope that the Nikon would prove
a worthwhile replacement for both.  The only problem I forsee is that the
CCD size means a zoom factor of 1.5 on all focal lengths - I enjoy my 21mm
for landscapes and I would be sorry to miss this focal length.

Basically what I am asking is whether anyone has bailed and regretted it /
or indeed never looked back.

Separately, has anyone used the D1 - is it good enough for general use yet ?

Finally, if I were to bail I would offer the collection to the list first
and I would appreciate comments on whether it is better to sell as one lot
or as separates (certainly not as an auction, boy do I remember that debate
:))

Many thanks,

Gareth.

==

Gareth Knight

(IEE NW YM Chairman, UMIST Student)
Permanent address: 5 Norman Road, Sale, Cheshire M33 3DF
Uni address: Blue 3:2, Weston Hall, Sackville Street, Manchester, M1 3BB
Uni telephone: (0161) 933 3931
Permanent telephone: (0161) 962 4950
Mobile phone: 07747865008 (Vodafone)