Re: [OM] Portra Field notes

Subject: Re: [OM] Portra Field notes
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 18:43:08 +0000
At 14:09 6/3/00 , Ken Norton wrote:
>Most importantly, though, and this will play in with wedding work, I lost
>my background "glow".  With the 400 there is a nice warm background glow
>that the 160 missed.  I somewhat account this to the stop loss in film
>speed, but more importantly, I feel that it is an indication of the
>differing latitude curves between the films.

I'm wondering if this is related to the ambient versus flash ratio you
mentioned later in your missive?  The slower speed would require more light
from flash for a given aperture . . . assuming you're stopping down some to
get sufficient DOF.  Most indoor wedding ceremonies are under tungsten
lighting (or warmer) which is inherently warm.  I've noticed (with films
other than Portra) if there is good ambient tungsten lighting requiring
only enough flash to get a color temperature close to daylight, the results
look _much_ better and have something like the "glow" you speak about.
Also found that diffusing and directing the flash so the light comes from
many directions looks much more natural.

I too am hooked on Portra for a number of daytime outdoor uses, but
preference is for the 160VC which doesn't run out of possible f-stop and
shutter speed combinations like 400VC does (daytime outdoors).

-- John