[OM] Re: Metal surfaces and polarizers

Subject: [OM] Re: Metal surfaces and polarizers
From: miaim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 21:01:01 -0400
I was just reading a book that talked about how polarizers are useless for
metal glare and am very curious about references I've seen here about cross
polarizers. How do they work, and how are they different from linear and
circular polarizers? Also, in one book I've got it says that two polarizers
stacked and aligned will block light, yet when I try this I get very dark
purple, but not an absence of light transmission.

My two 49mm polarizers are a Tiffen circular polarizer and a Vivitar that
is presumably a linear polarizer. Both have indicator dots and must be
turned 45 degrees to achieve polarization. Should'nt the circular one be
"active" at all settings and not require adjustment??

>From the film results I've seen polarizers are perhaps the best thing going
for both more vivid color and for better contrast in B&W, but I see little
mention of them as being as useful as they are. Is there any merit in
paying for top brand ones, or are they pretty much all alike?

Mike Swaim