Re: [OM] Cheap

Subject: Re: [OM] Cheap
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 23:23:45 EDT

> I know that this sounds like heresy, but am considering
>  buying the cheap non Zuiko zoom alternatives since I do
>  not own any zooms. Which brands should I avoid?
Maybe it is better to state what brands should you try to buy, or, more
specifically, which lens are sharp and contrasty lens.  In a long zoom I
would consider the Vivitar Series 1 70-210 (667mm filter model), Kiron 70-210
with zoom lock, Sigma 75-300 APO, or Tamron SP 70-200. For a little more you
can try to find a 60-200 Zuiko.  In wide angles try Tokina 28-58 (62mm filter
model), Vivitar Series 1 35-85, Vivitar Series 1 28-85,or Tamron 35-105.

> I do not  own a macro and do not know much about it.
Probably the best deal for a macro is the Zuiko 50/3.5 which you can usually
find for as low as $165.  On the budget, try the new Vivitar/Cosina 100/3.5.
For used look into the Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 or Tamron 90/2.5.

> Considering getting from the OLY guy one of the brand new
> Vivitar 28-200. Anyone knows anything about this lens? I
> own a Vivitar 28/2.8 and like the multicoating a lot.
I will sell you my Vivitar 28-210 for $95 if you want it in the box with
packing.  It softens a bit at the 210 end and vignettes at the 28 end but its
great for snapshots. Probably the better all purpose zoom is the Tamron
Adaptall 28-200 but of course it will set you back a bit more.

Of course all these recommendations are based on general scuttlebut but I
have owned most of these at one time or another.

For information on these lens from another source, see:
http://www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/third/cult.html

Warren