[OM] New Archives Search engine

Subject: [OM] New Archives Search engine
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 20:21:01 -0700
I've installed a new archives search engine for the list as a trial. I found
the
old engine (swish-e), while relatively fast for searching, could no longer
handle the size of the archives without running out of memory on Zuiko.

The new search page can be found here, with only the 1998 pages used as
a trial:

http://zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright/archives/wgindex.html

This uses glimpse as the search engine, which is not as fast, but more
flexible, and more likely to return accurate results. It also indexes much
faster,
which should allow me to keep the index up to date.

Please give it a try and let me know what you think.

Thanks.

ps: Don't expect blinding speed - searches will take 20-30 secs, Zuiko is
only a P/200...

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright