Re: [OM] Spanner Wrench

Subject: Re: [OM] Spanner Wrench
From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 11:47:44 +0200
Yo y'all,

thanks for all the tips I have received on and off the list concerning my
question as to spanner wrenches. As I now know what the German word for them
is I hope that I'll be able to find one locally.

Olafo: I know about the problems with dust etc., but I just can't see myself
spending $50 - 100 on a CLA for a lens that cost me < $10 and in perfect
used condition goes for around $50 - 70 or less. I did clean a Tokina RMC
1:4.5/75-260 a while ago which I was able to open with my existing tools. It
had some dust (which would not have bothered me as in my experience the
moderate amounts of dust you usually find in many used lenses do not visibly
influence image quality), and what seemed like a coat of lubricant (looked
like sprayed on; lots of tiny specks) on the third element (this was the
reason I opened the lens). I easily removed the grease from the element with
some Hama lens cleaning fluid and optical paper. I also cleaned the other
elements I had taken out, then used a soft cloth with lens cleaning fluid to
wipe as much dust out of the lens barrel as possible, and put the whole
thing back together. Certainly, it's not a perfect job - there's some dust
left inside the lens. But it's less than before, and the lubricant is gone
from the element. So, as this went rather well, I suppose I can take the
risk with those other lenses that cost me very little (not all are OM,
there's also a few M42s for my Prakticas/the Exa 1b which are my
always-leave-in-the-car/on-the-bike cameras - my OM equipment is too
precious to me to do that with).

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--