Re: [OM] 35-70/3.5-4.5 >> mom & pop on the web]

Subject: Re: [OM] 35-70/3.5-4.5 >> mom & pop on the web]
From: Johnsonpa@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 00:19:50 EDT
Skip Williams wrote:

>This guy was nice
>enough, but he HAD NO CLUE as to how the Internet & Ebay are destroying his
>profit potential and market.  He wanted to sell film on-line,
>geeez!.  Given the sophistication of shops like B&H, he hasn't got a
>chance.  In one way, I mourn the passing of the mom-and-pop photo stores,
>but it's a jungle out there, and the market is weeding out the weaker
>business models.

I kind of disagree with you Skip.  I regularly visit about 100 sites on the
web which carry used Oly equipment.  Most appear to be very small
operations/stores.  Obviously, I would do more research b/f I purchased from
these many of these sites, but they are all potential sellers.  With that in
mind, I think a small mom and pop store could easily develop a web presence
and sell their used equipment.  Clearly they are not going to compete on the
new equipment end with behemoths like B&H or Amazon, for that matter, but
there is still room.  I don't even think they need a shopping basket feature
or need to update their list that often.  I have picked up several items
cheap by writing a quick e-mail to those who don't update their site.  I just
received a 2m TTL cord and .3m TTL cord for $10 each after sending a camera
store an e-mail about their current stock.  They aren't steals, but still
worth getting.

just my .02
--p.j.

Oh, I realize you only alluded to this guy selling film online and not used
equipment.