Re: [OM] KODAK PORTRA

Subject: Re: [OM] KODAK PORTRA
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 22:39:44 +0000
I have used the 160 and 400 NC and VC.  Didn't realize there is now an ISO
800?  I'm a slower ISO user anyway and have been _very_ pleased with 160VC.
 There is one local source for Portra.  It is the 400VC only and have used
it in a pinch. Also very good, but prefer the aperture and shutter speed
combos I get with the 160 for what I shoot.  You will find even the "VC" is
not a high saturation film and that it has a very wide latitude without
muddy mid-tones.  Found more by accident than by design it is also good for
night shooting in urban venues which requires as wide a latitude as you can
get.  My one bad experience during the Summer outdoors was with distant
heat haze which really washed out the sky.  Maybe it was that one time
because a couple other times with hints of sky it looked OK, just not super
saturated like many people want to see.  Skin tone rendition I found to be
superb with both the NC and VC.

-- John