Re: [OM] all-OM Photo Gallery site (long)

Subject: Re: [OM] all-OM Photo Gallery site (long)
From: "Gary Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 19:48:35 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Olaf Greve

> -Just like me you seem to like the 28/3.5 a lot! Great, I think the 28mm
> lenses give great perspective without overdoing it, and you certainly know
> how to use that lens.

Olaf, for a long time I had only three lenses: 28/3.5, 50/1.8, 75-150/4.  I
didn't consider myself deprived and shot all of them.  Sadly, that was my most
productive period - I now have a lot more lenses, but get many fewer decent
shots.  Go figure.

> > -Then Utah, Arizona and Washington: Aaaaah! Nice, it's been a while since
> I've travelled there, but it's all so recognisable that it's just like
> travelling there myself (you've got to have been there to really appreciate
> the beauty of these states). Surprisingly enough the "hidden gem" of the
> states is missing a bit: Oregon! :)

I love Oregon, too, and have gone back in recent years.  Somehow I never seemed
to get anything special there, but it certainly wasn't Oregon's fault.

> One small point of critique here: I would probably have left out the first
> shot of the "delicate arch"; not that the picture isn't good, but 4 pictures
> of the same arch is a bit much...

You have a point, but I was trying to show that there are more ways to see that
western icon than the shot that you usually see (the one that George Anderson
sells in his gallery and I have blown up over my mantle.  I believe you can
detect the tripod leg depressions of the millions of photographers who have
shot it from that same point. . .)

>An interesting choice of lens (the 300mm one) for
> Sheril, weren't you allowed to get close enough with a 100mm or were you
> scared she might bite you (based on the looks she gave you in the first
> picture)?

Not at all, she is a dear friend and a charming lady - but a very capable
professional model.  Also a songwriter, Merle Haggard recorded one of her songs
when she was singing backup on tour with him.

>The choice of the 300mm really adds a lot of impact to these
> pictures (esp. the first one).

Chosen for the point of view and bokeh (and this was before all of the fashion
photographers discovered 300/2.8s wide open - I think.)  (Also long before I
ever heard of "bokeh") (Did I spell that correctly?)

> although I wouldn't have minded seeing some more of the California hot tub
> shooting either (I wonder how you managed to prevent camera shake
> there)....;)

Studio flash, my boy. . .

>> -Airplanes: some cool stuff there. One question, my recognition of old
> warplanes is getting a bit rusty, but I could have sworn that you had the
> B-17 and the B-25 models turned around. Am I correct, or am I _really_
> getting rusty here?!?

You are rusty: B-17 - four engine heavy that (along with greater numbers of
Consolidated B-24 Liberators) carried out the 8th Air Force daylight bombing
campaign against occupied Europe.  B-25 - medium twin famous for the Dolittle
Tokyo raid and the Italian campaign (remember Catch-22?  A standard in American
college lit courses).

> -The eclipse: very nice too! I'm still traumatised by the "disaster" of
> watching the eclipse last year in Luxemburg (grrrrr), so I may just have to
> travel to South Africa to at least catch a glimpse of the next one.
> Actually, there's 2 "eclipses" in the gallery. Upon seeing the first, I
> thought you were joking about the eclipse, but as it turned out, sure enough
> there's a real one too...;)

OK, I'm slow - did I miss a joke?  And on my own site! Sigh.

Regards,
Gary