[OM] Re: Dan don't ruin the camera!!!

Subject: [OM] Re: Dan don't ruin the camera!!!
From: "Samuel Morales" <dolphans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 18:12:06 -0500
Dan,

Don't ruin the camera and start gluing things and bending things.  It's like
flying have a check system every-time you shoot in your mind as back-up to
catch mistakes.  I always constantly re-check my camera every 4-5 frames.
Try to develop a ritual and never assume everything is write.  Try two have
two of everything with your assignments if they are really important,  just
as back up and even sometimes this does not work.

Even the most experienced photographers make mistakes.  I recall on a photo
shoot I did.  I loaded my OM-1 with a fresh roll of film.  I grabbed the
camera body and proceeded to shoot.  When I got close to the end of the roll
(so I thought) frame 28 or 30, I noticed my rewind crank was not turning as
I fired with my winder and I thought, it can't be, did I thread it wrong.

I released the rewind lever and rewound the film even though  I could tell
there was no film in the camera, but I wanted to make sure.  I counted
frames as I cranked the handle.

When I opened the camera back their was no film in the camera.  Yes I felt
stupid, but I grabbed the wrong camera and I assumed the camera I had picked
up had film in it.  I wasted about 20 minutes worth of shooting but I caught
it in time to make up for it.

So, always, always, try to double and triple check your camera after every
few frames.

It is also very easy to screw up on the f-stop setting when you have
pre-determined the amount of light you are going to use.  When you set the
camera down you accidentally change the f-stop and do not realize it.  If
you check every three frames or so, at worst, you only lose a few frames,
hopefully.

Sam.....