[OM] Re: OM-2000

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-2000
From: miaim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 14:54:29 -0400
I bought an OM-2000 in kit form w/the Cosina built 35-70 lens at the start
of this year. While I generally like the camera, it has already been back
for warranty repair. After 3mos. and about 20 rolls of film the shutter
started firing when the film was advanced. OlympusUSA repaired it and gave
very good turn around time of <2wks. I was impressed by the quick repair
time and have not had any more problems with it at all. I very much like
the camera and consider it a bargain *if* purchased as a stand alone body
for around $160US. However, despite reviews to the contrary, the Cosina
lens that came in the kit version that I got, is an absolute total piece of
crap. Literally, pictures from it aren't as sharp as from a couple cheaper
point&shoot cameras. Compared to other older Zuiko lenses that I've got,
the Cosina one is nothing but a plastic joke that loses important detail. I
don't know if I just got the one lemon in 10,000 but the problems with this
lens go far deeper than the usual comments about it seeming cheaply made.
It doesn't just *seem* that way, it is. I suppose I should probably send
the lens back and see what happens, but so far I haven't even bothered.

Let me re-iterate that I really like the OM-2000 body. It is nowhere near
the fit and finish of my older OM1n but it has it's own advantages. I can't
coment on the comparison to an OM2n, but here's how I'd rate the OM-2000 vs
the OM1n:

OM-1n-
*Much better fit and finish
*buttery smooth film advance
*genuine MLU
*ISO range to 1600
*shutter speed ring conviently located on front
*very quiet for an SLR
*flash sync at 1/60
*battery availability problems
*exc cond. used ones avail -$200-$250US

OM-2000
*slightly larger plastic and alum. body
*spot metering!!!!!
*ISO range to 3200
*shutter speed adj. via a cheap plastic knob on top of body
*1/2000 shutter spd. (if that's even relevant-- To me it's not.)
*double exp. feature  (see comment above)
*very loud mirror click
*flash sync at 1/125 (but permanent shoe is only one pin)
*Easily replaceable if damaged or stolen
*no battery worries (except for the cheapo plastic batt. cover)
*avail brand spanking new w/warranty ~$160US

I don't think the OM-2000 is in the same league as an OM-4 or OM-3, however
it does have it's own advantages in the form of being completely devoid of
emotional attachments. I use mine as my "car" camera and it's always there
even when my other gear isn't. There's something to be said for that and
with even just a cheap, ubiquitous 50mm/1.8 lens it beats the heck out of
any similarly priced point&shoots. It's a good way to gain entry to most of
the Zuiko lens system.

Mike Swaim