Re: [OM] 28/2 - first impressions

Subject: Re: [OM] 28/2 - first impressions
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 08:59:57 -0500
At 02:28 AM 4/25/2000 PDT, Olaf you wrote in part:
>I don't know exactly why, but somehow I've never managed to get the same
>nice feel for the 24/2.8. Personally I think the 4mm distance between the
>24mm and the 28mm are expressed in more ways than just the obviously
>slightly wider angle of view. They are just different lenses altogether,
>with the 28mm being more of a normal wide angle, and the 24mm being an ultra
>wide. Perspective distortion somehow tends to get grotesque much more easily
>with the 24mm than with the 28mm, causing me to ditch lots of pictures taken
>with the 24mm.

Olaf, I agree with you entirely.  I love both lenses, but it seems to me
that the 28 is just on the fringe of "normal" whereas the 24 is over the
brink.  I just can't really explain it.  Out west the 24 is invaluable.  On
my recent trip to Utah I had both the 28 and 24 and used them, but the 24
got a lot more use.  Where I live, in flatter country, the 28 is much more
useful to me.  It's like a sassy 35.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA