[OM] TOPE1 :( low participation rate :(

Subject: [OM] TOPE1 :( low participation rate :(
From: "Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 01:54:52 PDT
Hi,

C'mon guys and gals. There are only 24 of us shown on TOPE1. I don't know how many are subscribed to the list but I think the number is over 200. Can't we do better than ten percent participation with an open shooting date? I'd really like to know the faces behind the words.

Chuck, thanks for stating what was grinding away at me too ;)

Last year when the theme of self portraits was suggested for ADITL 3, many people echoed the suggestion with great enthusiasm. Nonetheless, it seems that the majority of the submissions (so far) came from the people who were not too unthusiastic about the self portrait theme, and also from people whose names are not too often seen on the list (which I think is a truly great development!). I even let the self portrait theme take precedence over the bokeh one, even though the latter got more votes when we voted for the themes...

So... How can to improve the participation rate?
Well, for starters, the submission deadline has been relieved, so there are no more time constraints. Then, maybe we can make the submission process somewhat more insightful. Some people have asked me what TOPE is exactly, and/or how to participate in it. For these purposes, there's a special "Rules" subpage on the TOPE page. Here are the URLs:
http://www.web-wizards.com/olympus/tope (main TOPE page)
http://www.web-wizards.com/olympus/tope/rules.html (page with details for submissions, also reachable from the main page). Finally, please let me remind the people on the list that there are scanner volunteers to help out the people who don't have (access to) a scanner themselves. Gregg, could you maybe re-post the list of volunteers again?

Good, it seems there are still quite a few people who want to send in a submission, but who simply haven't gotten around to getting anything decent (scanned) yet. So, hopefully the number of submissions will still increase quite a bit over the next few weeks or so. A participation rate of 100 0s of course never going to happen, but some 25% (i.e. some 50 submissions) should be possible.

Finally, Giles: I still haven't gotten around to going to my parents' house to scan some more pics of myself, but be patient, one day I'll get some of 'em up on a subpage....;)

Cheers!
Olafo